If you’ve been in any of the WhatsApp groups before now you’d have noticed the way messages flood into your app even at odd times. It is impossible to stop people from sending messages in groups but you can restrict people from adding you to such groups and that is one of the good news about WhatsApp.
Lately, many people have fallen victim to fraudsters who got their contacts from WhatsApp groups. Some people wake up to see direct messages from strangers who got their contact from any of the groups – this can be very annoying. So, I’ve come up with this guide to help you prevent such situations.
Fortunately, WhatsApp users can control who adds them to groups through the custom settings. However, if you’re already a member of any group, you can leave the group and delete it from your mobile app. Then you can follow the steps below to restrict the unknown users from adding you in WhatsApp groups.
See Also these helpful WhatsApp updates
How to Restrict people from adding you to WhatsApp Groups
1. Pick up your phone and open your WhatsApp mobile App.
2. Tap on the vertical three dots by the top right.
3. Tap on Settings and select Account.
4. Tap on Privacy and select Groups.
5. Now, three options will be displayed as thus; “Who can add me to groups”
- My contacts,
- My contacts except…
6. Remove from “Everyone” and select either of the last two options based on your personal preference by tapping on it.
7. Scroll down and tap on the green tab marked “Done”.
This will stop unknown people from adding you to any WhatsApp group. However, they can send you a private invitation asking you to join their group. It is left for you to accept the invitation or to decline.