The Facebook Messenger Room is a new feature that allow users to hold video conferences online. It is free and can host up to 50 participants in a room. This is one of the ways Facebook is making remote working and socializing a reality.
Just like most video chats apps, the Facebook messenger room can be accessed using the mobile app or from your desktop. It is integrated into the Facebook messenger, so you will not be downloading a separate app rather you may have to update your messenger app if there is a need for it.
The new Facebook messenger rooms was launched on the 24th of April, and is operational in most countries, however, if you’re yet to see the Facebook Messenger room feature, you should exercise a little patient, hopefully, it will be available to all in a short while.
Similar with the Zoom video chats, the messenger room offers virtual background and other artificial effects that will lighten your mood. Below is a guide to help you get along with the new messenger room on Facebook.
Let’s get started.
How to use the new Facebook Messenger Room
Using your phone (Android or iOS)
- Open your Facebook messenger app.
- Tap on the tab marked “People”.
- Next, tap on the video link “Create a Room”.
- Now, tap on the “Share Link” tab at the bottom of the page to invite friends to your messenger room.
One fascinating thing about this new feature on Facebook is that it allows you to invite anyone to join the Messenger room without being registered on Facebook.
If there is a need for a webcam, see how you can use your phone as an alternative.
Using Facebook desktop version
- Open the Facebook messenger desktop version.
- Click on the “Start New Room” camera icon on the top of the chat menu.
- Next, select “Continue as (your Facebook name)” to start a room.
- Your room will be created with a link at the top of the window. Copy the link and send it to anyone you want to invite to your room.
Additionally, you can share your screen on the desktop version. This is one advantage the new Facebook messenger room adds to its desktop version. As of the time of this post, the screen-sharing mode is absent on the mobile app version. Definitely, you will be updated as soon as it becomes available.