The population of the world is increasing daily and the number of internet users is on the rise too. Likewise, the tendency of bad eyes prying into your privacy with the help of the internet is also on the rise and that is one of the main reasons every internet user needs to know how to setup a VPN in order to surf privately and safely.
A proper understanding of how the internet works will further explain why we need a VPN to act as a secure pathway for all the activities we perform online. Quickly let us look at some of the reasons why we should use a VPN.
Why the Need to setup a VPN on our PC?
Firstly, we need to understand that the internet is a means of information exchange and has no limit to the amount of information it receives and gives out. What this implies is that your internet service provider [ISP] has access to the information you send and receive while on the internet.
The internet is filled with everything you don’t like, spies are always on their heels tracking every one of your movements through the web as well as your location. How? Without a VPN, your IP address is vulnerable and anyone can know your location with the aid of your IP address.
Also, advertisers can pay to have information about your activities online so they can evaluate your interests and know what appeals to you. These can help them serve you with adverts which can be beneficial to you. However, the information they can get is unlimited without a VPN and it can be detrimental to you.
What is a VPN?
VPN is an acronym for Virtual Private Network. It acts as an encrypted tunnel that conceals the user activities on the internet through its private server. Thereby, preventing the bad eyes from prying into the privacy of its users. Also, it keeps the users’ location away from everyone.
It is worthy to note that the use of a VPN is not the only way to stay secure while browsing the internet. Other ways include the use of Two Factor Authentication and Password Manager
Now that it has been established that we need to limit our vulnerability on the internet, it is expedient that we learn how to setup a VPN in our PC so as to protect our privacy.
Without wasting much time let us dive into the steps on how to setup a VPN on our PC.
How to setup a VPN in Windows OS
The first step to setting up a VPN in any device is to choose a VPN service provider. There are many VPN services out there but the truth is that not all are made for you. Therefore, you have to carefully review the terms and services of each one you’re presented with. After you must have chosen a service provider, take the steps below to have it activated on your Windows OS PC.
- Generally, the usual thing to do after registering with a VPN provider is to download the app into your device and launch it. However, it can be done manually as follows.
1. Hover your mouse and click on the windows button and select ‘Settings.’
2. Subsequently, click on Network & Internet > VPN. AT this point click on Add a VPN connection.
3. Now, select windows for the VPN provider. Enter a name for your VPN in the space under Connection Name. Also, carefully enter the following in the respective space provided for each.
- VPN server name or address
- VPN type
- Type of Sign-in info.
4. Click ‘Save’ to activate.
Now your VPN is activated in your Windows PC but you need to connect to the provider to use it. Below is how to connect to your VPN server
- Take the first and second step as listed above
- Next, click on the name of the VPN you want to connect to. This should be the name you tagged your VPN connection as in step 2 above.
- Finally, click on ‘Connect.’ If you added a password during the setup process, then you’ll be required to type in the password in order to connect and surf with your VPN.
How to Setup a VPN in MAC OS
Like that of Windows, there are apps that can connect your Mac automatically with the VPN when it is downloaded into your PC. However, there is also a manual approach to it. Let’s move on to reveal it.
1. Firstly, go to the System preferences and select Network.
2. Continue by clicking the button bearing the plus[+] symbol located at the bottom left of the drop-down menu.
3. Subsequently, click on the VPN as it presents itself from the drop-down menu.
4. Next, click on the button tagged ‘Create’ and enter the following details from your VPN service provider
- VPN Server Address
- The Remote ID
- The Local ID
5. Once you are done filling out the appropriate spaces, click on the Authentication Settings.
6. Finally, enter your VPN username and password, then click OK to connect.
- Note that you can set up your VPN username and password through the service app.
Good knowledge of what VPN is and its importance in the internet space is a step to a secure internet browsing. But, it doesn’t end there, one needs to apply the knowledge into action. We do our best to bring you the right information, what you do with the information is what benefits you.
Also, you can apply the knowledge from this article to setup a VPN for your OS and iOS smartphones. For OS smartphones, the process may vary because some vendors might be using a different setting. However, you can download the VPN service app from the play store and run it to automatically connect you to a VPN service.
The final word which is not lesser than all is that you should try to choose a good VPN service provider that is trustworthy and whose terms of service are convenient for you. Gratias