How to Backup Photos from your phone or Desktop on Google Photos
It is good to manage the storage space on your device to avoid malfunctions. Google photos offers one of the best cloud storage services for users to backup photos from phones, tablets and PCs. This makes it easier for you to recover your photos whenever you switch to a new device.
The are many advantages that comes with backing up photos on the Google cloud platform. Aside from it being a free platform, it retains the picture quality while offering unlimited free storage, – so, you can have enough space on your phone for more apps and documents. It also helps protect us against the risk of loosing our precious photo in case of theft, hardware or software damage.
The Google photos services are available across all platform – Android and iOS alike. Also, you can backup photos from your Windows PC, macOS, and Tablets. Below is a guide on how to successfully backup your photos on the Google photo platform.
How to Backup Photos from your Phone or Tablet to Google Photos
1. Download and Install the Google Photos app on your device.
2. Launch the app and sign in to your Google account.
3. Now, you’ll be offered two backup options; “Original” or “High Quality”. If you’re interested in the free unlimited storage plan then you’ll have to select high quality. But, if you want to retain the original quality then you may have to pay, however, that will be when you must have exhausted the free 15GB allotted to you.
4. Next, choose if backup should be done using mobile/cellular data or Wi-Fi connections.
At this point, Google will start backing up your photos to the cloud server. In order for this to be done automatically from hence, you have to give the app the permission;
- Tap on the menu button represented by three horizontal bars.
- Tap on “Settings”
- Select “Backup and Sync” and turn it on.
This will enable automatic backup and syncing of all the photos you snap on your phone to the Google photos cloud server.
How to backup photos from Desktop to Google Photos
The easiest way to backup photos from your computer (Windows or macOS) to the Google cloud storage is thus;
1. Visit photos.google.com on your browser.
2. Sign in with your Google account details.
3. Click on the tab marked “Upload” and proceed to select the pictures or folder you want to backup to the cloud. Ensure that your desktop is open until the backup process is completed.
Alternatively, you can use the desktop app for the backup.
- Install the Google Backup & Sync desktop app on your desktop. You can get it from the Microsoft store for windows or Mac App Store for macOS.
- Open the app and sign in with your Google account details.
- Next, select the folders you’ll like to backup and allow the backup to finish. Now, any file you add to this folder will be backed up automatically to the Google photos cloud server.